Friday 9 August 2013

The bubble called life






For seventeen years before my marriage I lived with my parents and sisters at a beautiful hill station.Now and then they'd take us to visit the gardens where we'd run about the trees and bushes and eat packed lunch and snacks that we had carried all the way from home.






The way to these gardens were lined with small shops where vendors sold their wares.Warm Tibetian woollen clothes, cuddly toys and  'home-made' chocolate.



Which school girl wouldn't like to taste the 'homemade' chocolate at least once? And so everytime we passed by the shops,I'd look at my father pleadingly."That's too costly for us.We can't afford it" was my dad's stern reply. With four children  depending on his measly pension,he used to calculate and budget every paise meticulously.

Four of us studied, married and went our different ways.
My ma-in-law seemed broad minded enough, so it was easy to fit in.
Her household help's daughter was interested in studying. So we showed her the green flag and off she went-8th public exam,10th and then a diploma in Fashion designing.
.During the course of her training, they took her on a 2 day tour.On her return, she placed a small brown packet in my hand.'Homemade chocolate,"she said casually.And lo,there was enough for everybody.
.





Do I blame my father? No,not at all.He provided all our necessities.
All the same,I think that once or twice in a lifetime one might indulge with one's family
 in some small luxury
 while the bubble of life still lasts.




photo :google images





No comments :

Post a Comment