Monday 1 August 2016

When I had a Treaty with a Snake

The same mesmerising combination : scarlet and green. The same shades, I got to see it at last after a long search of around 40 years.

It was in the beautiful surroundings of Assam. A land of rain and sun. Of good cheer and innocence
 (at least it was that then, 40 years ago). I spotted a scarlet flower in the garden at the front of our house.  This flower grew in plenty behind my house, I knew but when did it land here?

 I bent to pick it but something else moved beside it. A dark pepper with a tiny shutter opening and closing lightly like the wind. And then I understood.

                                                                                                                                                           free digital photos.net


 I was looking into the eye of a snake.!  But again something was different. I was too close to it to think of fear. Moreover it was a small creature like me and only wanted to
escape.  So I backed away slowly and gave it space.  It almost seemed to smile and nod too. As she moved and swayed her belly and hips I couldn't help admiring her grace and beauty - I, who generally find reptiles creepy (pardon me, reptile lovers).

The colour combination and design on her back were perfect.  I had not seen such a thing of beauty to match it until then -living or non living. I wondered why the textile industry had not thought up such a combination.

And I've wondered thus these forty years. Until yesterday. When after finishing my purchases  I entered a shop just out of curiosity and was shown a saree with just that combination. Scarlet and green with a touch of gold. Alas! my purse was empty.

 Though that shop was in another city and I have no chance of visiting it in the near future, a thing of beauty is a joy forever. That picture of beauty will remain in my mind for a long time                                                                                      to come.
   free digital photos.net

No comments :

Post a Comment