Saturday 8 February 2014

Do all women miss their old homes?

The call to eat Briyani -             Free digital photos. net

"Come soon, akka, (elder sister) why do you take so long ?" my  sister called. She was sitting on a swing in a park and eating from a large plate. " Here, take a plate from there and there's Briyani here. How long I've been looking  for you!"she said.
(Briyani is a special dish made by cooking rice and meat together).

There was an empty swing by her side - and the place was shady. So I happily ran forward. 

And then I woke up in my bed and realised that we weren't small and unmarried any more. My sister herself was married and with two children. I felt a sense of loss and loneliness. Not that I missed the ready made Briyani. I was never a good eater and had to be constantly reminded that I had still to finish my meal. Interesting table conversations always got me distracted from the business of eating.

The changes -


"So what if we're married, we're happy with our new families anyway," I tried to reason out. In some ways I have more freedom than before. At my old home I was just one of the siblings. Here I am the queen of the family. As my father was very conservative we weren't even introduced to all the guests of the family. In fact we had to avoid going that way until the guests had gone. Here  I  have a fair part in determining the extent of relationship  we ought to  maintain with each family.

                                                                                                                                                                                                                          Free digital photos. net                                                                                                                                  
Unlike most women, particularly working women,                                                                                         I've had some sort of help one way or the other so I didn't have to sweat it out that much.really. Am I justified then in missing my old home? 

The main difference -
Of course, at one's old home we only had to bother about our book work.Which is much better than bothering about the ingredients that go into each person's plate and the comments that might follow. Foolish though it sounds, there was some kind of security - we could be 'we' at our old home and accepted as such. Here we have to be aware of the different relationships and act accordingly, even suppressing our points of view for the sake of peace. We are reminded here that blood is thicker than water and so we have to wait patiently till 'eyes' are opened and reality is understood.

But here and there we find soothing relationships which is to us like the choicest of ice creams on a sunny day.


                                                                 Free digital photos. net




No comments :

Post a Comment