Tuesday 7 April 2015

A Tiny Survivor

                                                       
“Hey! How did this leaf come here?” I exclaimed as I was collecting drinking water from the tap in a pot. The leaf went up and down and then I noticed that it had legs all over. On closer inspection I found that it was a prawn, ¾” long and some 2mm wide.
The dam that supplied us with water was some 12 kms away.  The water must have been purified before it reached us: that meant a process of sedimentation, then passage through coal beds and chemical treatment before it reached us.  How did this tiny creature survive all that and then swim through 12 kms of water? Or how could he possibly have jumped in from somewhere else like a catfish after the processing?
I named him ‘Tiny’ and loved him instantly. (It must have been a ‘he’ to muscle his way through). I transferred him to an old fish bowl I found and scraped in a small bit of fish food I had. Fish usually died of over-feeding so how much should I feed this little fellow?  
  I went to an aquarium but its keeper caught a handful of 3” long fish from one tank and fed them to bigger fish in another tank.  I gasped and shied away from asking him about Tiny.

 Occasionally I would drop in a fibre from a dog’s bone or a speck of fruit. Thrice he moulted his skin. It was then that I realized he was a part of nature and belonged there.

The next holiday I carried his bowl and went to the dam he had come from. Crowds had come to celebrate the showers we had the last few days and the increase in the inflow of water.


                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               free digital photos.net

“Mummy,” a plump boy of about 14 was whimpering near us, a packet of chips in his hand. “Sneha made me walk all the way from there,” he said, pointing to the beginning of the traffic jam.
“If I didn’t, we’d still be stuck up there,” a slim and tall girl with long hair said as she returned from parking a Scooty nearby. But he made a face at her and clung to their mother, a round lady of about 45.
As I peered into the water I noticed some 5-6” long fish. Here and there some fish were jumping even above the water’s surface. I walked off the main course and came to a pool surrounded by some tall plants. It looked like a spring, small bubbles bursting occasionally. Safe from big fish, birds and drying up. I emptied the bowl there and bid Tiny farewell.
“Mummy!” the whimpering boy was near us again. “Tell Sneha that I won’t walk back again.”
‘Today’s youngsters could learn a lot from Tiny,’ I thought and drove away.

                                                                        free digital photos.net

No comments :

Post a Comment